Watch the recording
In this discussion, members of the development and design team at Headway shared their personal experiences of working remotely. They share how they got started, how tools have improved, and advice on setting yourself up for success as an essential remote team member.
The development team shared some of their favorite tools and methods for tackling project management and remote collaboration. We gathered those resources for you below.
- Include how long you've been working remote and some other previous positions
- First remote experience
- How have tools changed how remote feels?
- Biggest benefits to remote work?
- Biggest challenge to remote work?
Start - 00:00
Panelist Intros & Personal Stories - 1:41
• Tracking Productivity with a Remote Team - 35:05
• Productivity at an Office vs at Home - 37:56
• What Time Do You Work From Home? 9-5? Weekends? - 42:42
• Is Productivity Faster with a Remote Team? - 44:14
• Finding a Remote Work Job - 46:46
• How to Deal with Distractions When Working at Home - 48:13
• Working From Home with Kids and Spouse - 55:55
• Collaboration Tools for Remote Product Teams and Designers - 58:21
• Collaboration Tools for Remote Developers - 1:01:50
• Remote Project Management and Project Managers - 1:05:40
• How Do You Get Your Team to Turn Their Camera On for Video Calls? - 1:07:03
• Brainstorming Activities Together in an Office vs Digitally - 01:11:15
• Managing Your Time, Routine, and Prepping to Work for the Day - 1:13:15
• Communicating Better in Slack, Email, Video Calls - 1:19:36
• What We Look For When Hiring a Remote Employee - 1:22:21
• Panel Audience Introductions and Feedback - 1:29:13
Remote collaboration tools for developers
Wemux is a script that simplifies the management of shared tmux sessions
Communicate visually at the speed of thought – collaborative flowcharts, wireframes, sticky notes, and mind maps.
Lucidchart is a visual workspace that combines diagramming, data visualization, and collaboration to accelerate understanding and drive innovation.
Level up your pair programming and mentorship skills. Jess shares the benefits of pair programming, the pros and cons of different styles, and techniques to get better results.
Video feedback tools
These tools below allow you to send short video recordings of your feedback on projects, including screen recording to your contacts, adding a more personal touch to your email or slack response. All are google chrome extensions.
Video conferencing tools
Project management tools
Task and project management
Write, plan, collaborate, and get organized with this powerful, yet minimal tool.
User Story Mapping tool for agile product management. Real-time, two-way Trello, JIRA, GitHub, Pivotal Tracker integration.
Organize conversations, share files, and get answers faster. Keep your whole team in the loop by messaging in open spaces called channels.
Remote leadership tools
These tools will help automate time tracking, PTO calculation, paydays and your weekly check-ins!
Track time your way! Start & stop timers as you work.
Encourages engagement with your employees by sending you five questions to discuss during your 1-on-1 each week.
Helps you in leave management, attendance tracking, and automates PTO calculation.
Provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management software for businesses based in the United States.
Meet the panelists
Kelsey Leftwich, Developer at Headway, Shreveport, Louisiana
Jessica Stodola, Developer at Headway, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Jordan Burke, Senior Developer at Headway, Athens, Georgia
Andrew Stuntz, Senior Developer at Headway, Bellingham, Washington